Monday, February 15, 2010

Call on me anytime...I'll be yours, will you be mine?

Picture: The view out of Dan's room in his house at Kettering. I figured for a post after Valentine's Day, a picture from our dating days was appropriate :)

It was a good weekend. Restful (naps on Saturday AND Sunday) yet productive. I love those kind of weekends. Needless to say, it was Valentine's Day! Thanks to amazon my present from Dan won't get here until Thursday. (I 100% don't care. I just have longer to anticipate!) So Sunday morning I woke up early and made Dan open his present before he even put his contacts in...because I get excited to give gifts. I got him an Uncle Tupelo t-shirt and he gave me my card. Then I made chocolate chip pancakes (which were delicious...and oh-so filling) and we went grocery shopping. In the afternoon Dan took me to the mall to treat me to a little something...but I didn't find anything I wanted :( On the up-side, he got a pair of Eddie Bauer pants for $7.49. Way to go, babe! So now I have a little treat-sy banked for whenever I want. Yey-ah!

I've thoroughly enjoyed the Olympics so far! Let me just say though...moguls has GOT to be torture on your knees. There was this on U.S. competitor on moguls and she was only 35 years old and had had a total of SIX knee surgeries, three on each knee. Can you imagine??? One thing I'm NOT enjoying is how they showed that guy on the Luge literally DYING! What in the world, people?! Is there such a frenzy for the newest, hottest news that it doesn't matter what it's even about? They literally showed, on the evening news, a man dying. And I can only imagine that one of the top google searches this week has been "luge accident death" or something along those lines. Sheesh. Have some decency!

While we're talking about t.v...The Bachelor. I'm heartbroken that Ali left Jake for her job. I saw a preview for TONIGHT'S (!) episode where she calls him. I hope she tries to get back on the show, but I'm positive they won't let her...you know, because it's "not fair" to all the other girls. Ugh. Vienna. If she wins, I'll have no pity for Jake when they break up. Seriously! Jake was going to pick Ali in the end! (I don't know why it bothers me so much, but I think about how sad I am that she left...mmmm...probably on a daily basis.)

I finally pulled myself up by the bootstraps and got back to the gym this morning after a wretched three week hiatus. And let me tell you...I'm going to pay the price for that break. I'm not complaining because I know it's my fault and I knew it wouldn't be easy. But just the fact that I woke up at 4:45, made it to the gym, left ample time for devotions and STILL had time for an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm is enough to start the week off right.

On Saturday in church I thought about my first time going to Catholic church at sweet, little St. Bridget in Dayton, TN. It's been such a long time. I loved going there every Saturday evening, just by myself. I felt like I was doing something for me, out of my comfort zone, without the affirming presence of a B.C. friend coming along with me. I've been on a nostalgic kick lately - missing Bryan and my early-morning workouts, the abundance of cooked vegetables and salad bar in the cafeteria, Sunday mornings by myself in the dorm. Ah...college life. So young, so naive :)

Now for some Fearless quotes (This chapter was on the love of money and fear of running out):

"Accumulation of wealth is a popular defense against fear. Since we fear losing our jobs, health care, or retirement benefits, we amass possessions, thinking the more we have, the safer we are...We trust annuities and pensions to the point that balance statements determine our mood levels. But then come the Katrina-level recessions and downturns, and the confusion begins all over again."

"God is the great giver. The great provider. The found of every blessing. Absolutely generous and utterly dependable. The resounding and recurring message of Scripture is clear: God owns it all. God shares it all. Trust him, not stuff!"

THIS...is a good one. "Money is an untrustworthy foundation. The United States economy endured ten recessions between 1948 and 2001. These downturns lasted an average of ten months apiece and resulted in the loss of billions of dollars. Every five years or so, the economy dumps its suitors and starts over. What would you think of a man who did the same with women? What word would you use to describe the husband who philandered his way through nine different wives over fifty years?...And what word would you use to describe wife number ten? How about this one? FOOL. Those who trust money are foolish. They are setting themselves up to be duped and dumped into a dystopia of unhappiness."

"God owns everything and gives us all things to enjoy. He is a good shepherd to us, his little flock. Trust him, not stuff. Move from the fear of scarcity to the comfort of provision. Less hoarding, more sharing. And, most of all, replace fear of the coming winter with faith in the living God."

A favorite from this chapter...

"FEAR HAS NEVER BEEN FAMOUS FOR ITS LOGIC."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just found you and glad for it! I will enjoy your blog. This is a new world for me, but oh so fun! Mine still has a lot of work to be done to it, but I am taking it slow and trying to find time. Hope you are well- you sound so!